It’s free, it’s fun and it can increase our life expectancy, so why do we take this fundamental method of transportation for granted?
Here are 10 of the many health benefits of walking:
- Strengthens your heart and lungs
- Lowers blood pressure
- Helps to manage weight
- Significantly reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Can help reduce the risk of some cancers
- Improves sleep
- A great aid for anxiety, stress and depression
- Lowers cholesterol and reduces he risk of heart disease
- Increases bone health (particularly thee hip bone)
- Can help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s
Walking for 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week is hugely beneficial to our health, here are our tips on walking for health:
• Wear flat, comfortable shoes
• Walk briskly, you should feel slightly warmer, be breathing a little faster and feel your heart beat a little faster, but remain comfortable
• Enjoy your walk, think about what you are doing and enjoy your surroundings.
• Keep a correct posture: head high, shoulders back and down, tighten your tummy and bottom, chest up, look ahead ( at least 3 metres), arms slightly bent, don’t clench your fists and keep a nice natural swing to your arms
Remember, it’s better for you, it’s the cheapest form of transport and it doesn’t harm the environment.
So what are you waiting for, get up and go for a walk!